I was supposed to do the Tour De St. George this past Sat. but things didn't quite work out that way. Here is the 411: we went over Sat. morning @6:45 to register and get all our crap. Turns out that since we were late we didn't get a t-shirt AND they wouldn't have snacks for us on the stops. HUH?? Why don't you say that on your web site. Okay they say you may not get a t-shirt, so what. I want my food!! My hubby didn't want to fork out $100 for both of us if we weren't going to get what the other bikers got. My fil didn't feel right about biking along with them when we hadn't payed our money. So we left feeling VERY sad.

Then we got an idea. Lets do our own thing and ride the Huntsman loop Now I'm thinking this will be a piece of cake since old people do it so can I...Right!?! Wrong!! It kicked my butt. The Tour De St. George has NOTHING on the Huntsman loop. HOLY CRAP. Can we say a new found respect for the nearly dead. The whole thing is nothing but up hill. There is some flat row but for the most part up hill. My fil kept saying we can turn back at the wall if this is too much. Apparently we were doing the easy part of the course. We got to the wall and it was straight up hill. But it wasn't long so onward. Once we got to Gunlock I knew I was in way over my head but we had reached the point of no return so onward we went yet again. But this hill just kept going and going and going and going. I honestly thought there would be NO end. My fil and hubby ended up stopping and walking it. I was determined to ride it even if it killed me. And kill me it did. I was SO sore Sunday I didn't go to church. I want to do a post about this hill alone. I should go back in my car and take a picture of it. Although you never really appreciate it until you are on it. And to think the oldies do that in 2 hrs. 20 min and it took me 3 hrs and 15 min. So I bow down to the Q-tips and raisins for they truly are a mean biking machine.
Here is a description of the course from the Huntsman website:
start/end you will climb 3,000 feet in altitude; rollies, 1,700 foot gain/loss, upgrades mostly under 6% but one 9% (0.4 mile), one 6%-11% (1.1 mile). Long downhill, fast twisty, challenging
descent through scenic Snow Canyon State Park (reverse Hill Climb) near finish.
start/end you will climb 3,000 feet in altitude; rollies, 1,700 foot gain/loss, upgrades mostly under 6% but one 9% (0.4 mile), one 6%-11% (1.1 mile). Long downhill, fast twisty, challenging
descent through scenic Snow Canyon State Park (reverse Hill Climb) near finish.
I'm sure I know what some, if not most, of you are thinking and the answer is YES! I am just a little bit crazy.
After we did the course my fil and I decided to ride back to his house while Blake drove the car. I just got done shedding some clothing because it was getting hot!
A note to Crystal: Your demand is noted and I'll be taking a picture of that hill from hell.


9 comments:
YOU ROCK CHIC!!!! There ain't NO way I would EVEN attempt that! I am a baby when it comes to bikes!
You look so mean & tough and like such a hottie! No way am i postin' myself in spadex...but YOU! Rawrrrr. And that scenery behind you is simply amazing.
Your insane biking adventures are cracking me up! I haven't been on a bike since I was 15, when I started driving. I will keep it that way, thank you.
Way to go Lance!
You know. She does look really good in spandex. However, I need to tell a funny story. We stopped along the way to fix my bike and Michelle sat on a rock full of stickers. She immediatley started to whimper and I had to pull stickers out of her spandex butt. I was laughing because it was too funny.
Good thing you were there to help Blake, or Bill would have been pulling stickers out of Michelle's back side :-0
You are so inspirational Michelle that I rode my bike over to Val's house today AND I pulled the kids in the bike trailer!
Way to go Michelle! What a workout and all for no shirt, or food. You have determination!
holy cow! sounds hard! good for you finishing it!
Michelle your crazy! That's all I can say! But I love ya!
Post a Comment