Monday, October 29, 2007

Michelle's Story Corner


I was reading on Cecily's blog about her first ski experience (which is pretty funny) and I remember this little fun time I had with my fam.

It was some years back (before kids) and we went skiing with my family. My brother was on the ski patrol at Snowbasin so we were able to get pretty good deals. We were very excited to get skiing so the three of us, my bro, hubby and myself, all went to get onto the lift. There was snow on the yellow line that tells you where to stand so we really couldn't see it very well and we kind of just guessed. Needless to say we miss judged where to stand and when the lift came around my bro didn't have a seat and he is pretty tall so the arm of the chair went between his legs lifting him up. I remember him saying, "Oh sh**!" as he fell over onto me. It was really hard to manage him and his long skies were making him even heavier not to mention the fact that his one leg was hanging over the arm of the lift. The ski lift operator saw there was a problem and stopped the lift. We were about 10-15 ft. from the bottom. It was all powder and I knew it would be a soft landing for him so I let go and kindly nudged him off. In my defense he was already slipping and I wouldn't be able to hold him much longer; plus like I said it was powder where he landed. I remember him looking up and yelling back at me, "You shoved me off!" He did manage to get on the chair behind us and we continued on our way...laughing hysterically all the way up and back down the mountain.
If you were to ask my bro about this particular event he would say simple, "She pushed me off".
(No one was hurt in the retelling of this story.)
Same day:
My dad had just gotten done with his ski lessons and wanted to tackle the green slope. So we head over to the lifts where there was a group of about 15 girls. My dad hadn't quite mastered his pie and was therefore unable to stop. He was heading straight for these girls flinging his arms wildly and yelling "Get out of the way". He plowed them over and headed straight for two girls waiting for the lift to come around. Yelling "Watch out!" he plowed into them also. He managed to turn around and the chair caught him in the stomach knocking him down.
Still Same Day and Trip:
My hubby and bro went up to ski some blacks and on the way down find a mouse half frozen. Wanting to be helpful and save this mouse my bro. picks it up and places it in his pocket. They hit some pretty bad moguls and my bro lost control falling on the mouse and killing it.
What ski trip stories do you have?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now all of you that have just read this incredible post, are probably asking,"No way. Did this really happened?"
And I am here to confirm, yes they did. However, Michelle forgets to acknowledge one little detail. SHE USED BOTH HANDS AND SHOVED HER BROTHER OFF THE LIFT. Yes, we were standing off center from the chair and yes, her brother did sit one cheek on Michelle's lap and the other on the bar of the chair, but we were at least 10 feet from the pick up zone and she pushed him off. It was funny, I think Michelle was really close to peeing her pants. :)

Christie said...

And that, my friend, is why I don't ski. My hubby tried to teach me once. Neither of us made the mistake ever again. I fell and could not stop laughing. He was so frustrated. Kept yelling, "Get up! Get up!" Couldn't do it. Haven't tried since.

Holly said...

Sadly, I've never been snow skiing. I'd certainly like to try it, at least for a short while. Then I would retreat to the lodge with my book and a mug of hot coffee. :)

Matchbox Mom said...

Oh Matchbox Daddy used to snowboard for a living...(a whole 12.00 every two weeks he mostly did it for the free pass.) And once he went over a table top jump, and hit his face right in the snow. I didn't even recognize his bloody mess of a face when he entered the lodge. People out on the slopes thought that someone actually died because of the amount of blood that was there in the snow. The ski patrol had to go shovel it away so people would stop freaking out.
I can't stop laughing thinking about you PUSHING your brother off the lift! I should wear depends when I read your blog too!!!

Shaka said...

too funny! all that in one day! my prob. 2nd time skiing was in idaho-1st time out east-very different slope!!! so the 2nd time was with laina in idaho and we got to the top and rolled, walked and crashed our way down! we laughed a lot but you really couldn't call it skiing!

aurora said...

I'm neither athletic, nor coordinated... these stories confirm that the slopes are no place for me!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I've never been skiing, so I don't have any ski stories to share. I'm more the sit back and drink cocoa and watch everyone else!

But your story was hysterical!

Anonymous said...

I'm Billy's and Michelle's mom and she has done some doozies to her brother since he was able to walk.She did shove him off the ski lift just like she made him eat dirt with the yellow pollen telling him it was cheese.He was just barely 2 yrs. old and he liked cheese.

Renee said...

Too Funny! Thanks for sharing.

Cecily R said...

Well, yours trumps mine by a mile, although I totally see where you're coming from...and I believe you when you say that you just gave him a gentle nudge...(wink, wink). If you had peed your pants (as Blake so nicely mentioned) it would have been a reminiscent moment, no?

Rochelleht said...

That mouse thing is pretty funny. Why would anyone want to save a mouse, I ask you? Not me, anyway...

Wendi said...

Yikes, remind me not to go skiing with you! j/k

I don't really ski much, but my hubby used to go rock skiing when he was in high school. They'd buy old skiis from the DI and ski down huge gravel hills. Crazy.