We were living in Ft. Worth, Texas at the time. I had just gotten into my car to head for work and take Brekkon to daycare. As I was backing out of my driveway I heard it on the radio announced by Kidd Kraddick. At first it was reported that it was a small commuter plan. Then that a United Airlines plane had crashed into the towers. They still were not reporting a terrorist attack. I had just pulled into my sons daycare when the second plan hit. I remember sitting in the car just in shock. Why would anyone want to do this? Reporters started saying that this was a Terrorist attack on us. Terrorist?? That word formed a new meaning.
The only reason why I even went to work that day was because I was one block from my son. I dropped him off and the workers had it on in the office real low. They didn't want to worry any of the children and I was grateful for that. I went to work and things proceeded somewhat normal. I remember I was working on some files that were set to close that day when I heard, "Oh my God! The building just fell!" It was one of my coworkers who was watching the TV. We all ran into the break room and just stood there numb. We continued to watch, bringing our work into the break room. Then it happened, the second tower fell. That is when I lost it. I just cried for so long. We have family in New York and many of them work in Manhattan. I was so worried for them. I couldn't believe that people hated our country so much that they would do this to the innocent. It hit me how much hatred there was in the world. After that I left and got my son and headed home. By then the planes were almost all grounded. It was such an eerie feeling not hearing them flying overheard.
The news about the Pentagon and flight 93 was just so horrifying. I felt so horrible for all those people and their families. The pain they must be feeling. I still feel the same anger and confusion that I felt 6 years ago.
I want to thank all those in the Armed forces who are out fighting against these Terrorist. I thank them for loving our country enough to give all they have for it. God Bless the USA and God Bless Our Soldiers and their families!
I was inspired by Christie from These are a few of my favorite things. Where were you?


5 comments:
Thank you for posting this. We must never forget what happened that day. We were attacked in our own soil and since that day I no longer feel safe at home because I came to realize that there are people with such hatred towards our country and us.We cannot even phantom what they are capable next because we dont have such a black heart. But we are Americans and we rise and we continue to live and to spread our love and try to bring the world some hope.But we must never let our guard down and we must keep a watchful eye. Mom
What a great post! I also really was moved by your Mom's comment as well. Thanks so much for posting this!
Thanks for this post.
We were living in California at the time. I woke up at about 6:30ish from a dream. That dream was one of war, it looked like scenes from a movie of barbed wire, misty land and an erie sun in the sky. I saw an army helmet in the middle of the field. I picked it up. There was a voice in my dream telling me, "I want you to know that WW III has just started. It's o.k., find comfort. There are tough days ahead but the Lord knows all."
My mother in-law called around 6:30 to tell us about the first attack.
I found some comfort in this, but only a little. I was so concerned and could hardly get away from the radio.
It drives me crazy when people try to say that Bush intentionally had the attack happen. I appreciate your reminder of that day 6 years ago. In someways it seems like ages ago, in others, like yesterday.
Great post Michelle. Unlike Michelle, I heard about the first crash five minutes before walking into my office. I figured it was a single prop engine plane that someone was flying to close and ran into the building. Then as I was sitting at my desk some fellow co-workers explained that another plane it the building. Well, I stopped working and went with others to watch CNN and the horrific images that were coming across the television. It was a very sad day. A day I will never forget.
I was teaching school.(see my post). I love that America has taken a really sad day and made it inspirational.
Post a Comment