Monday, September 10, 2007

Down and Derby

It's that time of year again for the pinewood derby. I have decided, based on my observation, that the pinewood derby is 99.9% for the dads and about .1% for the scouts.


At first I was a little annoyed at my dh for doing all the work. I honestly couldn't believe how much time he put into this car. From the day we got the block of wood out came the designs. Once that was decided on (yes Brekkon did have a say in that) then came the fun part, painting the car. Well, what does my hubby do? He takes it to get professionally painted. Yes, you read that right. There is a guy in our church that paints cars for a living and he said he would be willing to paint any scouts car. Well like my dh is going to pass up a deal like that. So over they go to get the car painted. I feel that I must add that my son did come up with the paint design.


Now, as I said I was at first upset that my hubby didn't really let Brekkon do much on the car; however, once I took a look at all the other cars I realized that not one of these scouts got to even so much as touch the block of wood that would soon become their car. I overheard some dads talking about where they placed the weights in hopes that it would go faster. But what was most amusing was watching what my dh did once the weighing in was done. He added the "secret" weapon...lubricant on the wheels to make the car go faster. Seriously it was like I was watching the movie Down and Derby, only not quite to that extreme.


Once the final touches were added to the cars the races were on the way. It really was fun to watch the scouts get exciting whenever their car would win. Here are a few pictures from that night.
Brekkon and his friend next to their cars that their dads made.

6 comments:

Laura said...

That is too funny! I can't believe he is 8! What a cutie! If you were in our ward- we would be his leaders!

Jenni said...

This is the 2nd year we have done the pinewood derby, ours is in February. Last year we bought kits dad did most of the work (and bought one for himself and made that too). This year dad was out of town so guess who got to do it. Well we made spongebob, so Alex did the painting and I just cut out the face and put on the weights. It was was easier and less time consuming and it looked pretty cool too, but didn't really win any awards for speed. :)

Rochelleht said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe there is pro painting for a pinewood derby. Too much!

Katrina said...

Why don't they just have a derby for the dads and call it a day! Those poor cubs! :D

Anonymous said...

No comment. Plus, if you ask Brekkon he is thrilled to death. I think of it as a father son bonding time. Plus, unlike some dads I let Brekkon hold it and play with the car.

As for the painting, I am no dummy, plus the graphite I used is legal.

Traci said...

Love the car!! My son would think that it is soo neat! Great Paint job!!