Monday, August 27, 2007

Sticks and Stones WILL Break My Bones


Let me start by saying that I LOVE to road bike. We go for about 30 miles and it is just complete freedom. But I never saw the fun in mountain biking. However, my hubby hates it when I say I don't like something and I haven't tried it. So, Okay fine, I'll try it. But I fall just one time and he will be hearing it for YEARS!! Oh and one more thing, if there are any avide mountain bikers out there reading this I apologize ahead of time.

Here are all of us crazies getting ready for the ride. I think that was the last time I smiled.





Once we got everything together we head out for a 15 mile ride down the mountain. The trail we took was Bunker Trail and it was supposed to be easy. NOT!! You see after 10 years trails tend to erode. So what was once a nice beginner trail turned out to be an expert/technical trail. Of course it started out nice enough. Except when you would go over a rock. You could feel it vibrating throughout your whole body. It honestly felt like I was on a rickety roller coaster. Just 15 min. into the ride I was starting to get a headache. We did stop at a really nice view for some great pictures. Everyone was kind of annoyed that I made them stop but I didn't care. It's all about the blog. Besides, if I was going on this ride they could at least humor me.

I take it back, this was the last time I smiled. I'll do anything for my blog. If you look behind Blake and I you can just see a lake. That is where the trail ends.


Okay, so pictures are taken and off we go. Like I said, the trail started off easy enough except for the rocks. Then we cross the road and the trail forks. Turns out we didn't see where anyone else went so we just chose a trail. I really should have taken a picture of this beast but I don't think it would have done it justice. There were SO many rocks that I really was afraid for my life. I ended up walking my bike through a lot of it. Well, it turns out that we didn't see anyone from our group. We (there are three of us) start to wonder if we took the right trail. We had been told it was easy and this was no where near easy. So we decide to hike it out back to the road, with bikes mind you. We pass some hikers on the way that tell us our group is up top looking for a guy and two girls. YEAH!! No, wrong group. At this point we think perhaps we should take the dirt road back. At least we knew where that led. Then we met some other bikers heading out. They tell us to take the left trail that is easiest. Oh, so we did go the wrong way great! NOT!! Wrong again. There was this huge hill with BIG rocks. We just stood there looking at it thinking "no way". Then we see a hunter and he tells us that the trail leads no where. So back out we go to the dirt road. At this point I'm doing all I can to not scream. We end up getting the hunter to give us a ride out. Eventually we meet up with everyone and find out that we saved our bodies from a whole world of hurt. Turns out my fil fell off his bike a few times about killing himself. He landed on his back after one fall and just laid there for a while. When he got up he noticed that his bike was trashed so he had to walk it down the rest of the way. Blake's uncle flies over his handle bars and hits a tree head on. He would have died if it wasn't for his helmet. They told us that the trail just kept getting worse and worse. I'm honestly grateful I didn't have to go through that. I believe it was the Lord watching out for me. Aside from a headache and a sore bum I was in pretty good shape. The funny thing is that everyone kept telling me "next time this" or "next time that". Um next time???? I don't think so!!


Here are some pics of some of the battle wounds.


12 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Oh my GOSH, Michelle! That is insane!!!!! Greg is a mountain biker, but I made it clear when we got married that I hadn't been on a bike since I was 15 and it was going to stay that way.

Glad I live in Texas. No temptation.

Megan said...

The things people do for the sports they love! This is a good example of why I don't bike. I'm glad you have recovered and didn't get too banged up! Save your energy for Nashville!!

Julianne said...

That sounds crazy! I'm glad you got out of it without too many aches and pains. Thank goodness for helmets, eh?

Wendi said...

Yikes, I think you're awesome for even trying that. My husband wanted to buy me a mountain bike and I told him NO WAY, because then he'd make me bike in the mountain. Instead I got a sissy pink beach cruiser that I love and go on little bike rides around the neighborhood with my daughter.

Katrina said...

Ouch! Michelle, that sounds horrible! Glad you survived to tell your story! Does Blake's uncle have a concussion or anything? Is he making Vietnam sounds? 'Cause that's a sure sign. ;)

Julie said...

Yep, that sounds like my idea of hell. I went on one mountain bike ride with my dad and brother when Brax was a baby, and that will surely be the last. We also got lost which really upset captain safety. He was supposed to pick us up at the end of the trail and he had the kids the whole day.

Christie said...

You have just single-handedly convinced me never to try mountain biking. That sounds HORRIBLE! Glad you all weren't seriously hurt though.

Shaka said...

sounds like quite an adventure-looking at the pictures i was jelous-it looked like so much fun but i guess it got pretty bad-at least the wounds are from something interesting-not just tripping in the street right?!-they have a story!

katri said...

you are a nice wife. :)

Laura said...

I don't know how you do 30 miles I KNOW I would die along the way! You crazy kids- glad there were no deaths or broken bones!!

Michelle said...

LOL Katrina!! I miss my fellow Office flan!

Renee said...

Okay, I'm convinced...no moutain biking in my future hopefully! Glad you all made it out okay.