Friday, June 15, 2007

Girls Camp

The Camp Ground

I have been to girls camp before in Texas and boy do those girls have it easy! Cabins, bathrooms and showers were missed by me; and the girls here can only dream of luxury like that. The camp is up in Cedar Mtn. about 2 hours from St. George. It was the most beautiful drive up to the camp site. We were a little worried about the weather because it had snowed the weekend before camp. But we were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. The snow had melted and the ground was dry and not a cloud in the sky. It did cool WAY down at night to about 32 degrees so a roaring camp fire is a definite must.

This is what our camp looked like after we got set up. The men set up a canopy over our "kitchen" and eating area. Our camp name was Camp Patience. We did a play on words and had our theme be "Save a girl, save a generation" and we all wore scrubs and we called ourselves the Patience Care Unit. We had signs that we put everywhere such as: the girls tent was the ICU, the out house was the Emergency Room, the cars were Ambulances and so on.


Showing off the scrubs.


Some much needed r&r after all the work of setting up.


Some of our beautiful Young Women.

The Skits
After we got all set up and relaxed we went down to the amphitheatre to do our skit. This year the Stake gave each ward a song and we had Thriller. So the girls learned the dance moves to the song and they did a cute skit where they were mad surgeons chasing Matthew McConaughey with a syringe full of love potion. One of our YW held a pic of Matthew over her face. You can't see it very well but I'm sure you get the idea.

The Devotional
I did the ward devotional on Wed. They asked each leader to pick a Dr. and go from there. My talk was titled Sweet Little Somethings, inspired by my friend Katri. I loved the story she told about her son when they were eating donuts. Anyway, the Dr. I chose to be was a Psychiatrist because they help people with their problems and help them see the good in themselves and others. I pointed out that the best Psychiatrist in our practice was our Savior Jesus Christ. I shared the Parable of the Tomato Plant. I ended by reading the last part of the 13th article of faith. Replacing the word "we" with "I". I told the girls that the Lord is always blessing our lives with sweet little somethings but it is up to us to find them. Even in the simple things as eating a donut. After I gave out these cute little handouts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool. It is about time that the girls rough it like the boys. It also looks like a great place to go camping with the family.

Rochelleht said...

How Great! What a fun theme. I love all the scrubs. It sounds like your devotional was just lovely. Good job!!

katri said...

I'm glad that it went well. The pictures are great.

Stephanie said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Ours is in 6 weeks and I am the stake director, so girls camp is pretty much what I think about on a daily basis.

Thanks for your ideas, looks like it was quite a success!

Laura said...

I am glad it went so well! Sounds like you were really camping! That is the best kind! You can do that in Utah- but in Texas- I can see why you need the better camping conditions to protect you from the bugs and the terrible weather!

Michelle said...

So true Laura!

Julie said...

I love your devotional! You did such a great job. Those girls are so lucky to have you.