Thursday, February 5, 2009

Adventures in Grocery Shopping

I had to do some grocery shopping but before getting started I decided to take G to the bathroom. I lift him out of the cart and then turn to get my purse. I then look around and couldn't see G anywhere. I ask, "G where are you?" and I hear from the men's bathroom, "In here go potty." I tell him to come out so we can go into the girls bathroom. He says he can't because he is stuck. I tell him to just unlock the door and come out. "Door stuck! Need Help!" Then I hear him banging on the door yelling, "Need help! Need help!" I dart into the men's bathroom with the idea that I'm just going to grab him and run out. Not so simple.

Me: "G just unlock the door and come out. Hurry!"
G: "Can't lock stuck"
Me: "Then crawl under the door! Let's go!"
G: "No! Floor uckie."

Why is it that kids pick the most inopportune time to start listening to you?? So what do I do?? Well there is only one thing to do really. He was stuck in the bathroom and unwilling to crawl under (and trust me you can't make my kids do things they don't want) so I get down on the nasty men's bathroom floor and proceed to go under the door. Not an easy task because it seems that in the years they have made the door closer to the floor (shh, that is the lie I'm telling myself!).

Anyway, I look to my left and I see legs. Yes, there is a man in the next stall going to the bathroom. I just keep telling myself to not look up and crawl faster this will all be over soon. Funny thing the man in the next stall decides to have a conversation with me! I hear him say, "Your little boy is stuck." I mumble something like, "Yeah looks that way". He then says, "I would have helped him but I'm a little busy." Oh you have to be kidding me!! Trust me, I know you are busy and I'm seeing more than I would like!

By the time I'm clear of the door G has managed to pull down his pants and go potty. Good. Now that's done! I get his pants up fast and make a mad dash for the door. I just want to get out quickly and without anyone noticing. Too bad G didn't have the same plan. As I'm running past the sink he starts yelling, "Need wash hands!" Over and over again. So much for just sneaking out unnoticed. All of Wal-mart saw me running out of the men's bathroom and into the women's so we can BOTH wash our hands.

As I'm finishing up my grocery shopping I hear this chuckle behind me. I turn to look and the guy says, "Your the mom whose little boy was stuck in the bathroom." Aha, nice to put a face to those legs.

15 comments:

aurora said...

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!
You deserve a medal. A medal and bubble bath. And a night on the town.

Emily said...

This is hilarious! I can't believe this happened!

You are one daring mom! First, for going in to the mens restroom (not like you had a choice, but still) and second, for touching the floor!

EWE!

After reading this, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to potty train my little guy.

Rochelleht said...

WOAH! That's an experience. I can't believe the dude tried to talk to you!

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness! That is hilarious! And I can totally see myself doing something like that, and he recognized you, that is soooo funny! Doesn't he know he is suppose to be quite and pretend it didn't happen, lol!

Shaka said...

too horribly funny but not funny at the same time!! and especially because it was in nasty walmart! i shop there and i don't know about where you live but there are some interesting people that shop at mine. ugggghhhhh!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Just a minute,while I catch my breath and wipe my eyes! :D Oh. My. Goodness! I would have died! Thanks for sharing:)

Julie said...

Love you! This is to funny to be acutally true. You should write a book. "I'm a little busy." Please!

Thanks for making my day.

Casey said...

That was hilarious and gross all rolled into one. I too am shocked that the guy in the bathroom said anything to you out in the line. I guess that just shows you how much more discreet women are than men. Wow Michelle. I am in awe! I might have seriously just left my kid in there for awhile. No not really, but it would have been an option that ran through my mind for sure! You rock!

Cookie said...

OMG! That is tooo funny!

Please don't take offense, but my kids are not going to be allowed to play with your kids. I don't want them to get any ideas about trying this out! ;)

Lacie said...

I needed a good laugh!!!! That is so funny! I don't feel bad laughing because I can sooo see that happening to me someday!

Kids are such stinkers! You are so right-they always pick then most wacky moment to decide to listen to you!

I'm so sorry you had to crawl around on the Men's bathroom floor! They are so stinky and YUCKY!I would have had to come home and shower from head to toe!

Seriously, couldn't the man just have let the moment pass. Instead only to announce to the world you were the one in the men's bathroom!

Hee Hee! Thanks for sharing your fun afternoon~

Christie said...

Ewww! I was cringing when you had to crawl on the floor, but to have the guy start talking to you? BEST STORY EVER.

Chelsi said...

This is hilarious! I love this story, I love living vicariously through your amazing mom moments...I get to laugh at the image of you belly-crawling on the Men's bathroom floor while staying nice and clean.

Wendi said...

LOL. Just getting caught up on my blog reading, and girl--you have some GOOD stories! How hilarious. Thanks for the laugh on a yucky snowy day! :P

Laura said...

That is too great, Michelle!! I make my boys go in the girls bathroom- I don't want to deal with going in to find them!

Renee said...

Oh the joys of raising boys; just gotta love it! LOL!