I hear those words from my boys often throughout the day, "That's just not fair!". Today it was my turn to utter these words to my hubby.
I got a phone call from my friend Renee in Texas. She was calling to let me know that her youngest son was in the hospital on the respirator. I was so shocked to hear this because he hasn't had any issues in a very long time (he was premature). She then went on to tell me that he has been diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer and because of the size of the tumor it was inoperable. I just sat there in shock and unable to find my voice. I wanted to be strong for her and say the right things but nothing seemed right. So I just listened to her and marveled at how strong she was. She said that he will be going through two rounds of chemo therapy and hopefully that will shrink down the tumor enough to operate. Right now the tumor is pushing into his lungs and that is what is causing him to have trouble breathing. She talked and I cried and told her I was so sorry and that I would pray for her and put her name on our temple prayer roles.
Sometimes life isn't fair and we are thrown some pretty big curve balls. It is times like these that I rely most on my Heavenly Father, family and friends to get me through. It is such a comfort to know that my Father in Heaven loves me and knows me. When life isn't fair it is great to know that there is a bigger purpose to all this. I hope my dear friend Renee finds peace and comfort during this trial. I hope she knows how much her Father in Heaven loves her and her children and I hope she turns to him for the strength I know she will need.
Cancer sucks.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
That's Just Not Fair!
Labels:
my thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
How hard! I never know the right thing to say. I always end up putting my foot in my mouth. Yesterday, our neighbor came to tell me his 65 year old son dropped dead and he was going to be gone for the funeral. I told him to "have a nice trip." I'm such a dork sometimes.
I'll pray for Renee's little guy.
I will be praying for your friends little boy. Sometimes just listening and praying is enough to comfort someone in pain.
There is never 'the perfect thing to say.' I think that she just wanted to hear your voice and she knows that you care, even if the words aren't 'just right.'
When Lilly was sick, I don't remember the words that any of my friends said in comfort. I just remember them calling or being there.
I am so sorry for your sweet friend's child. We will pray for him.
I am so sorry for your friend and her sweet little boy! I never know what to say in those situations. Sometimes I guess it's just best to listen and say prayers for them.
Oh my gosh, Michelle! I feel so bad for her. I just ran into her about 2 months ago and Aiden was doing so well. I can't believe it. I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for them.
It sure does. I'm sorry about all the emotional stress you've seemed to have. You're such a supportive friend to others.
That is so sad. I will say some prayers for them, too.
Oh, sheesh. You just whipped me back into perspective with this post. This is heartbreaking. You are a good friend to just LISTEN. I think that's what your friend must have needed.
I CAN'T believe HOW MUCH she has been through! I think about here from time to time...I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment