Monday, February 11, 2008

A Camping We Will Go



That's right everyone, I'm the new Ward Camp Director. No I didn't get released from my other calling which is Secretary in the Young Womens Program. At first I felt a bit overwhelmed but after being set apart and having an assistant called I'm feeling much better. I can honestly say that right now I have the best of both worlds; I still get to stay in YW and now I HAVE to go to camp. Could life be any better??

Our theme is "Beautifully Created, Rock Sollid". Each ward has been assigned a mountain, we have Everest. We are now suppossed to chose a scripture that goes with your mountain. They want us to study about our mountain and center our devotionals around them. I'm so excited to have Everest. Our camp ID is Endurance and our scripture is D&C 14:7 "And, if you keep my commmandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God." I have been thinking about this for 2 weeks now and am very excited with what I have come up with. I've also been reading about Mount Everest and what it takes to hike it. One thing is that there is a rope that goes from the top of the mountain down to the first base camp. Everything is anchored to that rope: you, your tents, everything. They do this so that if there is an avalanche or bad storm you or the tents wont be lost. I thought I would relate that to the iron rod and how our lives need to be anchored to it.

I just honestly feel so lucky to be able to attend camp this year and with such a wonderful theme. The YW in our ward are so wonderful and I'm looking forward to hanging out with them at camp.

12 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

What a great theme! I'm super excited to go to camp this year too! It's been 20 years since I have been in YW (they like to keep me in primary) and now I finally get to go!!! Wahoo! Plus, I just get to go for fun, I don't have to be a cabin Mom or camp director or anything hard, even better!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Wowsers!! That's a HUGE calling! How fun for you, I loved girls camp so much, and the leaders were always awesome...so this reveals just how awesome you really are...not that there was ever a doubt!

Katrina said...

I really like the iron rod idea. That is a very cool theme. Leave it to Utah to pick mountains as their theme! ;)

katri said...

I think that camping where you are is a ton better than where I am. :)

I am sure you all will have a great time.

Emily said...

You are one brave woman! YIKES! I HATE camping, and I guarantee I would cry if I was given that calling. My dad made our family camp and fish all the time when we were kids and I'm still mad at him for doing that to us! :)

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome theme and love how it all ties together! fabulous!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

You're my hero. When I accepted this YW calling, the first thing I told them was that I couldn't go to girls camp! I'll do everything I can to help them all get ready. I loved girls camp as a YW, but I don't camp now, unless it's under dire circumstances. I'm so glad this is something you're excited about!

Renee said...

Congrats! Thanks for stopping by.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I LOVE girl's camp! That will be so much fun!!! Remember when we tried to hide out and miss the hike and we got busted? Yea, we were leaders... So what of it?

crystal said...

Oh, I absolutely LOVE this idea of base camp, etc. YOU ARE A GENIUS. May I file that idea away to use someday??? (giving you credit for the genius, of course) That seriously is the best idea I've heard. Ever.

Camp Director???? Wow. That's a biggie. You will be perfect and wonderful and I wish I could attend!

Michelle said...

Rochelle, I had forgotten about that! You have a good memory. Fun times.

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your calling. Girls camp is so much fun, sometimes I think it is more fun to go as a leader.