Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Safe and Sound

Yesterday we had the worst scare of our lives. We couldn't find Garrik for a little over 30 min. He and Korbin were outside playing. I remember bringing them in, but what I didn't see was Garrik sneaking back outside with Korbin's back pack. I don't know how much time went when I suddenly looked up and called out "Garrik!" I saw Korbin standing in the open doorway and asked him to get inside and bring in Garrik. He then said that G wasn't outside and proceeded to shut the door. I looked all in the house, walked outside and looked in his usually play places. No G. I went back in and told the boys that I couldn't find G and for them to help me look. Brekkon looked again inside the house, back yard and garage. No baby...anywhere. As I was heading out the second time Blake was pulling up. I tell him that we can't find Garrik. He then drives around our neighborhood and the neighborhood across the street from us. Nothing. At this point I'm starting to get really scared. We call his parents to come help us look, some neighbors are looking with us and we call the police. I made Blake do that call. I just couldn't.

As I was heading back out to look for G in the BLM my mom calls. I tell her Garrik is missing and then I lose it. Saying it out loud was like being hit with reality. A reality I was trying to stay away from. I guess I just kept expecting to see him run around a corner. I just remember telling my mom that I didn't know what to do. We hung up and I just kept walking along the BLM hoping to spot him. Then I see Blake trying to get my attention but I'm too far away to hear him. He calls my cell phone and tells me that the cops found him and he his heading to go pick him up. Instant relief!

I then get Brekkon's attention, he was hiking out in the BLM looking for his brother, and motion for him to come to me. Once he is close enough to hear me I tell him that we found G. I start to head back for the house but decide to stop and turn around. I then see Brek standing there in prayer. Then he walks over to me and straight into my arms and just cries. He said that he prayed that Heavenly Father would help us find Garrik. I just stood there holding him. I know he was so scared and brave.

When we were all standing around talking everyone was saying that they were so happy he wasn't kidnapped. I then realized that that thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I honestly feel it was a defense mechanism. There was no way I could allow myself to go there or even think about how long he had been missing. I knew I would lose it if I did.

I'm sure you're all wondering what happened and how was he found. Here it is: I was right in thinking to search the BLM. That is exactly where he was headed when a guy saw him crossing the road. He then picked him up and took him up the street to his town home and proceeded to call the police. They made the connection and we got our little man back safe and sound.

I know things could have turned out a lot different. I'm just thankful for honest people and for our Father in Heaven. I know he was watching it for our little guy yesterday. Last night after he went to bed I just sat by his crib watching him sleep. Such a beautiful sight.

This morning during breakfast he kept saying, "They take me. The people take me."

14 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh my heck!

Scariest feeling in the world.

Lacie said...

I couldn't read your story fast enough! My heart was just pounding as I read. I could not imagine how long those 30 minutes felt. I'm glad you are ALL safe and sound.

Thank you for your comment about the election.

God is so Good!

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, Michelle! What a nightmare. So glad it worked out ok. YIKES!!!

Laura said...

I am SO glad he is okay! WOW!!

Emily said...

Okay, that is my WORST nightmare! I'm so glad you found him! Um . . . what is the BLM?

P.S. Good to see you blogging again!

aurora said...

Even though your post title said, 'safe and sound' I was just sick reading about your family's scare.

What a total nightmare. I am soooo glad that he is okay, and it just touched me so much to know that your son was praying as soon as he found out that he was okay. So sweet. {hugs}

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I am so glad you found him. This is my biggest fear and J is 7, but he tends to wander sometimes. I'm sure those 30 minutes felt like hours. I loved that Brekkon turned to his Heavenly Father. It shows that you've taught your children well.

Cecily R said...

I'm so glad you found him and that he is safe!!

We lost Gracie in the Layton park when she was about two and a half. An hour later I found her at the police station with a nice older couple who had found her almost right after she got away from us. It was THE worst feeling I think I've ever had while she was missing. I don't know if I've ever prayed that hard and that much in an hour ever.

Angie Cazier said...

You know my heart was stopped the whole time I read that, that is so crazy. what a blessing to have him home. by the way great job with the bloggin.

Renee said...

Oh how scary! I am so glad he is home safe and sound.

crystal said...

Holy CRAP, sister.

My heart was pounding for you as I read this post. I can't imagine the fear. Well, actually I can. It's every mother's worst nightmare. I'm SO GLAD everything turned out and the little guy was okay.

And what an amazing boy Brekkon is.

Shaka said...

wow! very scary! i'm glad it turned out well. thank goodness a good man found him!

Unknown said...

I am so glad that things turned out ok! That is so terrifying... I know sometimes we wish that these little boys would just stop driving us crazy, but of course we wouldn't trade this "job" for anything! They are our worlds in the best way!

Stephanie said...

OH, my word Michelle. That had to be the worst feeling ever. Losing your child for just 1 minute is terrifying, I can't imagine 30 minutes. I am so glad he was kept safe.